I had a satisfying moment of competence today when I called the water company and ordered 8 more jugs of water...all in Chinese! This success moment required a solid 30 min of preparation and rehearsal time with my tutor, a deep breath before I dialed the business number and then my strategy was to just plow through my one-sided dialogue before the person on the other end had the chance to deviate from my prepared conversation. All went well until the very end when I was apparently asked a question about which district I lived in. At that point my teacher, Amy, who had been listening on speaker the whole time, took over and wrapped it up. If water is indeed delivered tomorrow afternoon,
I'll have to break out some bubbly to celebrate :)

Well done!! I am impressed with all the effort you put into learning the language!!
ReplyDeleteDon't let all those pretty pen colors and Chinese characters fool you...my contribution to this page is merely the purple "how to you say this phonetically" notations. And with my notebook closed I'd be hopeless!
ReplyDelete