Tuesday, October 8, 2013

McDonalds Take II


If cultural adaptation were to be measured on a successful-McDonalds-ordering scale, then I have skyrocketed upward this past month! 


McDonald's take II was a beautiful achievment :) Above you will see exactly what I ordered… corresponding to exactly what I wanted. Amazing. I've still left myself plenty of room for improvement. This ordering episode involved language barriers which could only be breached via my trusty old iphone google-translate (type and show method) and the kids were still running around as a crazy side show for all the other customers in line.

This McDonald's only had a small play place--on the 3rd floor, go figure, with no elevator, which = super woman strength to carry baby+stroller+bags. But I did it. This time with the unsolicited, kind service of a employee carrying our tray. The kids had the play place all to themselves and ran around playing harmoniously crazily together for more than a half hour. Once they worked up a good sweat, they all ate happily, even without ketchup…which was not an option due to the 2 flights of stairs and the daunting task of asking for something like that.

On our way out, the manager asked Julien (in English) if he'd like to have his picture taken by their Halloween display. Julien did his eager, bright-eyed nod, and "click," we did our part to boost McDonald's PR and marketing efforts with a bonafide foreigner stamp of approval. For good measure, Ryley was asked for his photo as well. They stopped short of asking Theo. Probably because his standard greeting of strangers these days is a scowl and growl. 
Both boys were paid for their photo shoot with a mini ice cream cone.
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. So, I wonder if there are other possible compensations from McDonalds when they find out they are also your measurement of "success in communication outside of your language and culture"? I think this could be good marketing for the golden arches! They might pay in more than ice cream cones!

    ReplyDelete